Steamatic’s 6-Step Mold Prevention Program
Steamatic’s mold and mildew removal and remediation service has been keeping Canadian homeowners safe from the effects of toxic mold for over four decades. Our mold-fighting service is truly all-encompassing, able to both treat existing mold and identify problem areas to prevent future growth. Where treatment is needed, we use an innovative and environmentally-friendly dry ice blast cleaning method to eliminate the threat of mold spores and access hard-to-reach areas for a thorough clean. We work with your insurers and arrive on scene fast so that the area can be secured and treated before any additional harm is done. Once the immediate threat is taken care of, we work hard to find the source of the mold-causing moisture, and handle any repairs or renovations that may be needed with a professional touch.
Though our mold and mildew removal and remediation service is available around-the-clock and for an extremely affordable rate, it is always preferable to avoid the problem altogether. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Keeping this in mind, the Steamatic team would like to offer you a 6-step mold prevention program to help keep harmful spores far from your family home
Ventilate your home as much as possible.
Mold thrives in humid, stagnant air. Both of these conditions can be avoided if proper ventilation is provided. Increasing the quality of ventilation in your home is not very difficult if you use the following simple steps:
- Turn on your exhaust fan or open a window whenever you are showering or cooking a meal. These activities generate a considerable amount of warm, humid air and steam. Leave your fan on or window open for a few minutes afterwards to ventilate any residual hot air.
- Make sure that you include inspections of your dryer, bathroom and kitchen fans, stoves, and heaters in your home maintenance routine. You want to make sure that all of these appliances are venting air directly outside.
- Open windows as often as is practical. This can be tough during cold or allergy season, but every second the window stays open vents more air outdoors.
Keep your house warm.
- Sudden temperature drops can cause concrete or plumbing to sweat moisture. Keeping your house warm prevents this from happening.
- Moving all of your outdoor furniture and other belongings away from exterior walls can help keep warm air circulating.
Rid your home of any items that could host mold.
- Reduce the volume of stored items you have in the home. Don’t be a hoarder! Clear out your basement and closets as much as possible, since these items often reek of mildew before long.
- Discard any wet or water-damaged items immediately.
- Never store firewood indoors. This is a common nesting ground for mold, containing both trace amounts of moisture and organic matter needed to sustain mold growth.
- Avoid relying on cardboard boxes for your storage needs. These easily dampen and rot.
Keep your home dry and clean.
- Immediately wipe down wet surfaces, drip pans, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers.
- Vacuum common dampness culprits like carpets and furniture often.
- Keep all drains dry and in good condition.
- Use dehumidifiers during warm weather when possible.
Minimize moisture generated by common indoor sources.
- Try not to hang wet laundry indoors. Consider hanging these outside to dry, as it will be faster and threat-free.
- Do not over-water your plants. Many plants develop visible signs of mold in the surface layer of soil due to over-watering.
- Take out your garbage as often as possible. Do not allow soggy garbage to stagnate in the home.
Stop water from creeping into your home.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and clear, and that all downspout extensions are operating properly.
- Make sure the ground around your home slopes away from your concrete foundation. Any water that is allowed to accumulate near your home’s foundation could potentially creep into your home.
Follow these 6 mold prevention tips and you should be able to drastically reduce your chances of experience mold growth in the home. If you see mold despite your best efforts, call 1-888-767-7616 today for fast, safe, and responsive removal service!