Steamatic Candle Safety Tips
In hopes of helping families prevent fires in the home, the Steamatic team would like to offer readers some important candle safety tips.
- Never let a lit candle out of sight. This means you should extinguish them any time you leave a room, and especially before going to sleep.
- Ensure that the candle is fully extinguished. This means checking that the ember on the candle’s wick is not glowing at all.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets. Dancing flames can transfix your child or pet. If they can reach it, the odds are that they will reach for it.
- Never burn a candle near anything flammable. This may seem obvious, but finding a spot that is far enough away from drapes, furniture, bedding, and books can be harder than it sounds.
- Always use a candle holder. Make sure your candle holder is made specifically for this purpose. It should be heat-resistant, sturdy and wide-based to minimize the chances of tipping, and big enough to catch any hot wax drips.
- Don’t burn your candle down to the base. Though it may seem like an economical choice to do so, do not allow your candle to burn all the way down to its base. As a general rule, you should stop burning your candle once it is down to its final 2 inches.