Enlist Steamatic Specialists in Your Fight Against Graffiti
How can I prevent graffiti on my property?
To understand the limitations of graffiti prevention efforts, it is important to understand who is typically responsible for this form of vandalism. Graffiti is most often created by bored youth or active gang members. Both of these demographics are mostly unconcerned with municipal laws and community efforts; indeed, their vandalism is typically their attempts to lash out against these very institutions. For this reason, anti-graffiti policy often has very limited success. Some active interventions that you can take against the spread of graffiti include:
- Limiting vandal access to vulnerable walls and surfaces. This can be done in a variety of ways. Many people incorporate natural deterrents like shrubs, thorny plants, clustering vines, and other forms of landscaping features to restrict vandals’ access to vulnerable surfaces. More conventional defenses like fences, rails, and metal baffles are all quite effective, but are not particularly attractive to look at. Erecting ugly fencing to prevent ugly graffiti does not help matters much
- Create a mural. If you can’t beat them, join them, right? Creating a mural discourages some people, but is not particularly effective. Usually, you will only deter those more artistic vandals who appreciate the mural, while gang taggers and bored youth will gleefully mar your beautiful mural. This solution is not appealing to some people who prefer their walls in the condition they bought them in. However, it can be an effective deterrent to some vandals.
- Show vandals they are being watched, and increase the risk of being caught. If the area that is being constantly marked up by unwanted graffiti is monitored by law enforcement and other community members, vandals will probably start taking their attacks elsewhere. You can make the common target area less appealing in a number of ways. You can add lighting to promote natural surveillance for community members. You can install video cameras that are visibly pointing at the target wall. You can also make a concentrated effort to remove the graffiti quickly. This shows vandals that the area is under tight surveillance, and also deprives them of the chance to show off their high-risk tagging effort.
How can I remove graffiti from my property?
Steamatic cleaners have been handling this kind of issue on a variety of residential and business surfaces for over 40 years. We are available 24/7 for emergency clean-ups, and can be your greatest ally in your community’s fight against graffiti with our fast response and stunning results. We can remove your graffiti and also erect deterrents, as we have in the past by boarding up abandoned properties that were routinely vandalized.
When you contact us, you need to identify what kind of surface has been marked. Brick, concrete, aluminum siding, utility boxes and poles, pavement, wood, and glass are all commonly victimized by vandals. These surfaces have very different characteristics, and their varying textures call for different cleaning solutions.
- Pressure washing – When we are treating smoother surfaces like glass, metal, and most siding, pressure washing does an excellent job. Amateur pressure washers risk damaging the surfaces they are trying to clean, but skillful Steamatic workers guarantee a perfect clean that won’t carve into your home or business.
- Abrasive soda blasting – This technique is ideal for concrete and masonry, since spray paint creeps deeply into the pores of these coarse surfaces.
- Dry ice blasting – This technique elevates us above our competition. We fire carbon dioxide crystals at the tagged surface so that the dirt, paint, and other contaminants are gently lifted away. These crystals vaporize almost immediately on contact so that they leave no wet residue or chemical contaminant behind. This gentle, environmentally-friendly method is great for delicate historic buildings that have been victimized.
Call 1-888-767-7616 for your free quote and consultation. We are available any time, and are standing by to help in your fight against graffiti!